The South Lawn Project, the most ambitious undertaking
on the University of Virginia’s Central Grounds in a
century, was designed to accommodate the contemporary
program requirements of the College and Graduate School
of Arts & Sciences while paying respect to the
Jeffersonian architecture in the nearby Academic
Village. It sees 12,000 student visits every day.
It is a 4-5 story building of 114,000 gsf and
features a 95-foot-wide terrace across Jefferson Park
Avenue that connects the South Lawn Project with the
Central Grounds. At the south end of the terrace is a
circular plaza that sits atop a Commons Building,
with an exterior stair leading to the
garden areas below. An extensive landscape design
creates a park-like feel while educating students about
storm water management.
The Foster Site is also celebrated in the landscape, giving recognition to the
home of Kitty Foster, a free black who provided laundry services for the University
in the mid 1800’s.
The two main buildings were completed and occupied by students and
faculty in January 2010, and the Commons Building and Terrace Crossing were completed
around August 2010.